Monday, July 25, 2005

Tales of Catan: Letters (a fan fic)

A letter to the Laverian Intelligence Council...

Wise Council:

The following is my field report on my travels through Jasonea.

Upon arriving to the outermost settlements I was surprised to find imposition of marshall law by local militias. There was no sign Jasonean authority. Further investigation had revealed that all lines of communication had broken down after barbaric pirate attacks.

I travelled to the nearest coastal city. Indeed, it had been sacked by pirates. Yet still, there was no Jasonean authority, only frustrated municipal clergy trying to keep the peace. Not seeing any sort of relief effort I inquired into the orders from the Jasonean capital only to find that there were none. My investigation netted only scattered reports of a massacre at Tobiaston. Judging by the damage done to the sacked city I could not imagine any horde capable of razing a fortified city such as Tobiaston.

Wise Council, I have travelled to Tobiaston. As suspected, there is nothing left.

Investigating the damage, the mass graves, desicrated churches, I concluded that this was the work of a murderous army. Pirate hordes are not capable of such hell. I was unable to discern the origin of the attackers as all remains had been burned. That is, until I found a dead Adamran lieutenant at the edge of a pyre. The massacre at Tobiaston was at Adamran hands.

I suggest that immediate measures be taken in preparation for war with Adamra. However, if the damage at Tobiaston is any indication of the strength of Adamra then Laverian forces are ill-equiped to handle such a force. I recommend that peaceful trade continue with Adamra whilst a secret coalition of Catan be created to stop this threat.

Attached is an account of events that transpired in Tobiaston. It is a letter I took off of the dead Adamran lieutenant. It should be noted that the lieutenant was killed by another Adamran. The dagger in his chest suggests it was either a general or Adamran nobility. It is truly curious.

I leave this letter in the hands of The Council and await their instruction.

Inquistor Pylas

***

The Adamran letter...

My sweetest love,

I must tell you of what has happened here lest the truth be lost forever.

There was no warning. Our ballistas struck the walls at first light. Never before on this land has there been such a large contingent of artillery. I will never forget the sound of the stone walls of Tobiaston crashing. It was louder than thunder! Our forces paused to allow fire to spread through the city. It was then, my love, that I felt the evils we were about to commit. We marched through the city like barbaric hordes. Their defense was haggard, undoubtably softened by years of peace. Our battle-hardened soldiers slaughtered them like lambs. O, how I wish and pray that it had ended there. It was not long before we saw flags of surrender over their fortress. With little resistance our forces quickly occupied the remainder of the city, and that is when it began...

The civilians were ordered to the city's center, they were coralled like pigs. Young children, little boys, were ripped from their mothers arms, were bound, and marched out of the city. The remaining women and soldiers were divided up into groups of those who were fit for work and those who were not. Those who could not work were killed by sword, as examples - they were the lucky ones. The rest were put to work digging large pits just outside of the city walls. All of the Tobisians worked tirelessly and quickly under fear of death and the pits were completed before nightfall. Once again the fit were rounded up, but this time the unfit were pushed into the pits... O! By the Gods! What have I become a part of!?

I must steel my resolve. I cannot let emotion take my words just yet, my love, I must tell what has transpired...

Wood and oil were tossed into the pits and the prisoner soldiers were ordered to set them a blaze! I was certain that the generals had gone mad! But just then Lord Adam himself appeared. I thought surely our Lord will put a stop to this madness! He looked solemn, how could his troops have committed such herecy?

You will not believe what I am about to tell you, my love. King Adam, Lord of Adamra, cast the order to start the blaze. Those in the pit burned slow, piled on top of one another, too tired to fight, all they could do was cry. I could see the glow of the burning pyres on the kings face, they illuminated the most maniacal smile. O! He has gone mad with power!

He ordered the remaining women taken back to the camps, as spoils of war, and tossed to our ranks... to the hethans and barbarous dogs... My love, you have my word that I did not partake in their sins... The women fought and raged against their fate long into the night, but only in vein. In the their wails, I heard only your voice. Through their tears, I saw only your eyes. O, how I pray that I am at journeys end and may return home to you and our unborn child.

I am certain there is not a single soul left in the decicrated remains of Tobiaston. No one to give the innocent proper burial or funeral rights to allow their passage Yumerian Fields. What's more, my love, we have been ordered silent as I am sure if the neighboring powers of Laveria or Samueleta caught word they would unite the rest of Catan against Adamra. The penalty for such treason is dea-

Someone draws near... I cannot say any more...

I pray this letter finds you well... and I pray that I shortly follow. Be well, my love.

Ever yours,

Nathaniel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home