Kanye West (a freewrite)
Its starting to happen again.
I am becoming unhinged from time.
A familiar feeling, I know. But this time it isn't because of a lack of sleep or persisting questions of self. Right now, I owe this spiritquest to Kanye West. Bending beats to words, bending words to beats. True artistry. Truly a transcendental experience.
When he mixed old soul with new drums he started a revolution in hip hop. Something more than a single sample looped over and over again. Maybe creating both the beats and the lyrics gave him the control he needed to turn his vision into some significant form.
...This clarity, this understanding, isn't mine. Listening to his songs his vision becomes mine. Listening to tracks like "Touch The Sky" I feel like I made it too, I feel like I can shine just as bright. But theres a dark honesty too. Songs like "All Falls Down" and the "Diamonds" remix reveal to me a growing inner struggle. The feeling of dealing with your own hypocracy.
Maybe its the ingenuity of his lyrics. The originality of his irreverance as he "cuts a n**** up like LL's trainer" is rivaled by a small few, if at all. Creative, witty, sharp, and real. In a world where similitude is frowned upon we're constantly told that which sets itself apart is what should be sought after. And very clearly, Kanye sets himself appart from the rest.
No matter how you spin in it Kanye West is at the top of the game.
So go ahead, get down.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home